This work is comprised mainly of reports prepared by American diplomats stationed in Turkey during the 1960s and 1970s, decades in which the country underwent a series of profound and wrenching political crises. The reports contained in this work give a unique perspective on the state of affairs in Turkey during that period, as viewed through the eyes of American diplomats. Student movements, an ultimatum to the government by the Turkish General Staff on March 12,1971, Kurdish issues and the status of the country's religious and ethnic minorities are just a few of the subjects covered.
283 s, İngilizce.
I- REPORTS CONCERNING THE POLITICAL AND SOCIAL SITUATION IN TURKEY
- "The Impatent Builder", Time, February 3, 1958.
- Report by John Goodyear, "Press Reaction to Time Cover Story on Prime Minister Menderes", dated February 13, 1958.
- Report by John Goodyear, "Impact in Turkey of Time Article on Prime Minister Menderes", dated March 12, 1958.
- Report by Kenneth A. Byrns, "Village Trends", dated April 26, 1963.
- Report by John E. Merriam, "Spiritual Problems and Social Disorder in İstanbul", dated May 20, 1963.
- Report by Robert B. Dreessen, "Continuity and Change in a Shiite Village", dated July 19, 1963.
- Report by John E Merriam, "Istanbul Attitudes; Against Greeks, Against U.S.", dated April 16, 1964.
- Report by Robert S. Dillon, "Philosophical Nature of The Turkish Reform Movement", dated June 12, 1964.
- Report by John E Merriam, "İstanbul Politics: The RPP's Hidden Persuaders", dated June 18, 1964.
- Report by Philip Clock, "İsmet İnönü", dated January 27, 1965.
- Report by Philip Clock, "Impression of Turkish Political Scene Five Months After Home Leave", dated March 9, 1965.
- Report by Thomas W. Davis, Jr., "Turkish-American Relations as Seen by Adana's Senior Journalists", dated June 24, 1965.
- Report by G. Lewis Schmidt, "A Trip Through Uşak, Afyon, Balıkesir, Kütahya, and Manisa", dated October 8, 1965.
- Report by Parker T. Hart, "Attitudes of Some Young Turkish Instructors", dated December 9, 1966.
- "An Evaluation of Turkey by a Member of the U.S. Army", dated July 31, 1967.
- Report by Handley, "The Far Right in Current Turkish Affairs", dated August 8, 1969.
- Report by Douglas Heck, "Play on Rosenberg Execution Popular with Theater Going Turks", dated June 8, 1970.
- Report by Spain, "İstanbul - Summer 1970", dated September 24, 1970.
- Report by Spain, "How To Control Violence - A Key İstanbul Preoccupation", dated April 30, 1971.
II - REPORTS CONCERNING THE SITUATION AFTER THE MAY 27, 1960 COUP
- Report of John E. Merriam, "The Turkish Army and Politics: Views Of Lt. Gen (Ret) Madanoğlu on Col (Ret) Türkeş", dated March 14, 1963.
- Report of Elaine D. Smith, "Memorandum of Conversation with Cemal Madanoğlu", dated March 28, 1965.
- Report by Philip Clock, "General Madanoğlu's Views of Current Political Scene", dated April 6, 1965.
- Report of Maxwell K. Berry, "Some Comments on the Political Attitudes of the Military", dated October 22, 1965.
III- REPORTS CONCERNING THE TURKISH GENERAL STAFF'S ULTIMATUM OF MARCH 12, 1971
- Cable From Spain, dated January 4, 1971.
- Report by Frank Cash, dated January 16, 1971.
- Cable dated March 11, 1971.
- Memorandum by Frank Cash, dated March 15, 1971.
- Cable dated March 15, 1971.
- Cable dated March 16, 1971.
- Cable dated March 18, 1971.
IV- REPORTS CONCERNING THE KURDISH ISSUE
- Report by Robert S. Dillon, "Field Trip to Southeastern Turkey", dated October 19, 1965.
- Memorandum of Conversation with Recai Kutan, dated June 22, 1966.
- Report by Daniel O. Newberry, "Turkish Kurdistan", dated March 24, 1971.
- Report by William H. Hallmann, "Criminal Portrait: İsmail Beşikçi", dated August 24, 1972.
V - REPORTS CONCERNING MINORITIES
- Report by Philip Clock, "Discrimination", dated July 26, 1963.
- Report by V.L. Collins, "The Minorities, Osmanlis, Levantines and Foreigners of İstanbul - Their Histories, Present Influence and Future", dated June 12, 1967.